Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Wii -- Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles

Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles by Capcom

Several years ago, I played Resident Evil 4 on the Gamecube. I really enjoyed this first person shooter. The controls worked well, the environments looked great and everything just worked well together. So, when Umbrella Chronicles was first announced, I was excited. When it was released, I was hoping and expecting a similar experience to Resident Evil 4. Unfortunately, it is not here.

Graphics

The graphics are fluid and work, but....

Gameplay

Umbrella Chronicles goes back to the old style Resident Evil gameplay which I really dislike. It uses fixed camera angles and stilted moves to get through the levels. So, instead of exploring the game, you end up fighting with the controls and your character ends up dying many times just to find the exact sequence to get through each level. Overall, I don't like sequence levels where your character dies over and over just to find the proper button sequence. If I had wanted to play Simon, I would have bought Simon.

Overall

This game was a disappointment. This really is more of an arcade style game designed to waste lots of quarters and time. It isn't a first person shooter. So, don't expect anything like it. I've heard that Resident Evil 5 may be more like 4. So, if you're wanting a first person shooter like RE4, wait until 5 and skip the Umbrella Chronicles.

Score

  • Graphics: 8/10
  • Sound: 8/10
  • Story: 5/10
  • Gameplay: 4/10
  • Replay Value: 1/10
  • Bang-To-Buck: 2/10
  • Overall: 4/10

No comments:

Comments